Thursday, June 7, 2012

garden delights: how to make chive vinegar

The chives are once again blooming in my garden. 

I thought I'd share my favorite thing to make with the blossoms. A friend shared this with me years ago and I think of her and this recipe every year when those lovely, lavender flowers come out.

chive blossoms, mixed media.  ©2012 Kristina Wentzell



It's so simple and makes the most gorgeously colored pink vinegar--great for salad dressing, cucumber salad or any summertime salad that needs a splash of vinegar. 


You will need: 

  • a large handful of chive blossoms 
  • white wine vinegar 
  • clean, glass jar with a lid






Directions:

Wash the chive blossoms in a strainer or colander (you don't want any insect hitchhikers!) and  place chives in a clean, glass jar.



In the meantime, bring the white wine vinegar to a boil. You'll need enough to cover the blossoms.

Pour the hot vinegar over the chive blossoms. Let cool, cover and let sit for about a week.



The vinegar will turn the a lovely shade of pink. After 7 days or so, strain off the blossoms and you're done! It looks so pretty sitting in a window with the sun shining through.



Anyone have a favorite salad dressing recipe? 

I usually make a very simple vinaigrette: 2 parts light olive oil to 1 part vinegar, a pinch of salt & pepper, a 1/2 teaspoon or so of Dijon mustard, a bit of sugar or agave to taste.

Enjoy. 






3 comments:

Frances Clements Fawcett said...

Yum! Chives are at their peak in our garden right now - perfect timing says the Delight Detective! ; )
Kristina your gorgeous art matched with lovely photos and a tasty sounding pink! vinegar = yes and yay!Perhaps not the most articulate response...but the best my happy brain can come up with at 11:20 pm on a Thursday evening! Hugs from Port Townsend! xo FcF

Unknown said...

Pink vinegar - so pretty. Can't say I'd do that project, but I sure do appreciate the creativity in your post!

JCielinski said...

Thanks for the recipes!! I'm excited to try both!