Wednesday, June 13, 2012

update from the henhouse

The chicks are a just over a month old and are getting BIG.  

hey, it's getting crowded in here!
We haven’t finished the coop quite yet (more on that later) so they are still living in the house and getting a little cramped.  We’re not the most quick or efficient carpenters so building this coop has been quite the learning experience. Of course, I wanted more of a chicken cottage than a coop and managed to pick one of the more challenging patterns in the book (it’s a talent I have).



buff hen,  oil on canvas. Kristina Wentzell ©2011

In the meantime, we’ve been getting to know our 6 girls and my two little charges are quite enamored with the latest addition to our menagerie. We’ve learned a couple more things about chicks:

They go savage for dried mealworms.  I read that this is a favorite treat so I purchased a container of them.  Boy, do they ever love them. At first, I was actually nervous they were going to kill each other in their mad, frantic, peeping scramble to peck up every scrap and bit of worm.

This is probably obvious to everyone but having chicks in the house is a messy ordeal. I’ve moved them to the breezeway now that they’re older and have at least spared most of the house from their mad, dusty ways.

So, without further ado---I’d like to introduce our little brood of girls. These are baby pictures, as you can see above they are much bigger now!


Buttercup & Marigold

Edith

Minnie Pearl

Esther

Daffodil



2 comments:

Frances Clements Fawcett said...

I laughed out loud when I saw the 'glam shots' of your girls on the green velvet! And their names? So adorable! I can't decide which one I like best - it's a toss up between Esther and Daffodil (but you can keep that to yourself..don't want the others to get upset that I'm picking favorites).
They grow so fast...it must be the mealworms. Thanks for another delight-filled post Kristina. And your Buff Hen is lovely.

Cheers from chilly and damp Port Townsend
Frances

Kristina Wentzell said...

Thanks for stopping by Frances--and I'm glad you're getting some amusement from "my girls"! They're getting so grown up now and are officially moved outside to the henhouse. Updates soon!

Kristina