Tuesday, March 27, 2012

a bit about varnishing

Varnish is a protective, final layer that is applied to a painting after it is completely dried. In the case of oil paintings, that is from 6 to 12 months. Varnish serves several purposes. Esthetically,Varnish will ‘lift’ or increase the depth of color, it will also unify the surface sheen (matt or gloss or somewhere in between). The most important benefit is to protect the painting from dirt, dust, and pollution in the environment.




Due to the long drying time of oil paintings, most of my pieces are sold before I can apply varnish.

So, here is a notice to my collectors: I’d be happy to varnish your painting at no charge.

Please contact me to arrange a time to drop off (or ship) your painting to my studio. I can also give you information if you’d like to varnish the painting yourself.











No comments: